Sheet pan Chicken Fajitas are the perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner! This flavorful fajita recipe combines marinated chicken, peppers, onion, and a mix of seasonings. It is a family favorite!
Homemade Chicken Fajitas
Fajitas are one of our all-time favorite Mexican meals. We love ordering sizzling fajitas when we go out to eat at our favorite Mexican restaurant, but since we don’t go out to eat that much, we decided to bring the fajita party home!
These homemade Chicken Fajitas are easy to make in your own kitchen and much better than any restaurant fajitas because they are healthy and SO delicious! Plus, you only need ONE pan. Clean up is a breeze and you can top the fajitas with all of your favorite toppings. This is a fun and delicious meal!
Chicken Fajita Marinade
To make the perfect chicken fajitas you need to start with a good chicken marinade. For this marinade, you will need:
- pineapple juice
- lime zest and juice
- olive oil
You will also need to add the classic fajita spices:
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- dried oregano
- smoked paprika
This marinade is loaded with flavor and keeps the chicken tender and juicy. The pineapple juice is a game changer, it adds a nice sweetness and flavor.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
You are going to LOVE this chicken fajita recipe because you make the fajitas in the oven on ONE big sheet pan!
- First, marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for at least one hour. You can marinate it overnight, so this is a good meal prep recipe. You can have it prepped and ready to go! When the chicken is ready, the fajitas only take 20 minutes make.
- While the chicken is marinating, you can cut the peppers and onions into strips.
- To make the fajitas, put the chicken and vegetables on one large sheet pan. If you want to make the clean up even easier, you can line the pan with foil and spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook the chicken and vegetables for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F. Remove the pan from the oven and turn the oven to broil. Put the pan back into the oven on the top rack and broil for 4-5 minutes or until the vegetables are slightly charred and the chicken is cooked through. Don’t skip the broiling step, it will give the fajitas that sizzling flavor.
- When the chicken and vegetables are done, you can char your tortillas right in the oven. We like to use corn tortillas, but if flour are your favorite you can use flour tortillas.
What Do You Serve With Chicken Fajitas?
Loading up chicken fajitas is all part of the fun and makes them extra tasty! Some of our favorite toppings and sides include:
Go crazy and let your family and friends build their own fajitas! This is a fun meal to make and eat!
More Mexican Recipes
These easy chicken fajitas make the perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner!
For the Chicken and Vegetables:
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut lengthwise into 1 1/2-inch thick strips
- Cooking spray
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch-wide slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch-wide slices
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4-inch-wide slices
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the chicken and vegetables: In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together the pineapple juice, lime zest, lime juice, olive oil, onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, and ½ teaspoon of the salt.
Place the chicken in a large zip-top plastic bag and add the marinade. Massage the marinade into the chicken, making sure to evenly coat all the pieces. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or as long as overnight.
Adjust an oven rack in the center and another 4 to 6 inches from the broiler and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a large rimmed sheet pan with oil and set aside (you can also line it with foil, then spray).
Remove the chicken from the marinade, shaking off any excess, and place it on the prepared pan. Pour the marinade into a large bowl, add the bell peppers and onion, and toss well. Spread the vegetables evenly on the pan around the chicken and sprinkle with the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat and spread out evenly in the pan.
Bake on the center rack until the chicken is almost cooked through, about 15 minutes.
Switch the oven to high broil. Give the vegetables and chicken a good toss, move to the top rack, and broil until the vegetables and chicken are slightly charred and the chicken is cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Place the tortillas directly on the top oven rack and broil until warm and slightly charred, about 1 minute. Slice the chicken into small pieces and mix with the vegetables.
To assemble, evenly distribute the chicken and vegetables among the tortillas. Top cheese and desired toppings. Serve warm.
Calories: 389kcal, Carbohydrates: 33g, Protein: 32g, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 84mg, Sodium: 771mg, Potassium: 740mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 1405IU, Vitamin C: 66.7mg, Calcium: 165mg, Iron: 2.3mg
Have you tried this recipe?
Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram. Tag @twopeasandpod and hashtag it with #twopeasandtheirpod