Trending News

Kongsberg bow and arrow attack: Man goes on rampage in Norway with multiple killed – World News

Norway Police said a suspect has been arrested following the attacks in Kongsberg on Wednesday evening, with investigators remaining in the area

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Norway: Emergency services attend scene of bow and arrow attack

A man has gone on a killing spree with a bow and arrow in southeastern Norway, leaving multiple people dead.

Reports say the attacker opened fire on Wednesday evening at a Coop Extra supermarket in western Kongsberg – 42 miles from the capital, Oslo.

Four people are understood to have died, with several others injured, including a police officer who was shot in the back with an arrow.

Norway Police have confirmed a suspect has been arrested following the incident.

Emergency calls were made at 6.13pm local time (5.13pm GMT), reporting a person moving around with a weapon, the force has said.

Did you witness this incident? Let us know at webnews@mirror.co.uk








Armed officers at the scene in Kongsberg after a man went on a killing spree with a bow and arrows
(

Image:

NTB/AFP via Getty Images)



One local journalist reports witnesses claim the attacker began firing into a supermarket with arrows measuring around 70cm long.

Photos on social media show discarded arrows on the street.

Town mayor Kari Anne Sand told Norway’s TV 2: “This is a gruesome incident, there is nothing else to say. Now we must try to take care of the inhabitants as best we can.”

She added the area is called Vestiden and has housing, shops and a university campus.

Police Chief Oeyvind Aas told reporters in a press conference this evening: “The man has been apprehended…from the information we now have, this person carried out these actions alone.”

“Several people have been injured and several are dead.”








Arrows allegedly used by the suspect at the scene
(

Image:

@SucHikayeleri /Twitter)



He declined to comment on the exact number of casualties and avoided labelling the incident a terrorist attack at this stage.

But he said the perpetrator moved over a large area in the centre of the town, with multiple witnesses then coming forward.

The chief added that a large police presence remains in place and Minister of Justice Monica Mæland has been informed.

A police spokesperson went on to say that helicopters and bomb squads, as well as other emergency response troops were deployed.








Multiple police units were deployed to the scene
(

Image:

NTB/AFP via Getty Images)



These came from Oslo police district and national assistance resources.

The suspect is being held in the city of Drammen, around 25 miles away.

Following the attacks, the police directorate said it had immediately ordered officers nationwide to carry firearms.








An air ambulance lands at the scene
(

Image:

TorresErwerle/Twitter)










People have been ordered to stay indoors
(

Image:

TorresErwerle/Twitter)



Norwegian police are normally unarmed but officers have access to guns and rifles when needed.

“This is an extra precaution. The police have no indication so far that there is a change in the national threat level,” the
directorate said in a statement.

A Kongsberg resident told NRK people near to where the attacks took place were being told to stay indoors.

Photos show armed police, response vehicles and cordons in place.

The Kongsberg municipality is home to 28,000 people.

This includes 127 Brits, according to the most recent data.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *