While the Mercedes-Benz EQS and EQE – two all-new EVs on devoted electrical platforms – seize headlines, the German automaker is concurrently upgrading a few of its extra conventional combustion platforms with emission-free electrical powertrains. One upcoming arrival is the 2023 Mercedes-Benz EQB, which is a compact electrical crossover based mostly on the favored GLB-Class chassis. We not too long ago had the chance to drive the brand new Mercedes-Benz EQB 350 4MATIC in Germany:
- To differentiate the EQB from its GLB sibling, Mercedes-Benz has reworked the outside with EQ-specific design language. This contains the signature black-panel entrance grille, new LED illumination, rear LED mild band, aerodynamic alloy wheels, polished roof rails, and refined badging on the entrance quarter panels. In addition, the charging port is on the rear quarter panel on the passenger aspect, changing the gasoline filler. Overall, the outside enhancements are enticing and cohesive – they’re nicely built-in. They give the EQB a premium look whereas concurrently enhancing aerodynamics (the electrical SUV boasts a formidable .28 Cd.).
- Mercedes-Benz has retained mainly the inside of the GLB, except for the infotainment working system. That’s a great transfer, because the ergonomics and performance of the GLB had been an asset – no want to vary one thing that works. The 5 “turbine” HVAC vents stay, as does the storage on the middle console and doorways. The place of the switchgear can also be unchanged, however it has been tailored to the assorted electrical drive modes. And when it comes to infotainment, Mercedes-Benz has enhanced the system with the new-generation MBUX Multimedia System with Augmented Reality Navigation. New rose gold-colored and blue highlights assist distinguish the EV from its combustion siblings.
- Enhancing the desirability of the EQB is its elective 7-passenger capability, which is outstanding on this car’s section. Children finest make the most of the third row of seats, however adults can match again in a pinch. In phrases of cabin configurations, the second row of seats could also be slid 5.5 inches longitudinally to extend legroom, they usually provide a recline function along with splitting and folding 40:20:40. The third-row splits and folds 50:50. This function concurrently maximizes utility and passenger capability. The addition of battery packs beneath the passenger flooring has barely diminished cargo area (about 5 cubic toes of area are misplaced, relying on which seats are folded).
- The EQB 350 4MATIC is fitted with two motors. The entrance axle options an asynchronous motor, whereas the rear axle includes a completely excited synchronous motor. Total energy is 288 hp and 384 lb-ft of torque. Power is saved in a 66.5 kWh lithium-ion battery pack, which accepts 110 kW quick charging (elevating it from 10 % to 80 % in simply over half-hour). Official vary figures haven’t been introduced, however it’s anticipated to ship 200-plus miles on a full cost.
- On the street, the brand new EQB 350 4MATIC drives higher than its combustion-powered GLB 250 4MATIC sibling. While the GLB boasts a turbocharged 4-cylinder engine, its horsepower and torque scores are notably decrease than these of the electrical EQB. We predict the curb weight of the EQB can be a number of hundred kilos increased than that of the gasoline variant, however the extra energy and torque supply of the twin electrical motors greater than offset the mass – the EQB is fast from a standstill (we estimate the 0-60 dash takes fewer than six seconds). Peppy throttle response is felt all the best way as much as freeway speeds. Unlike the GLB, which takes a second for the engine to construct enhance and the 8-speed automated to fall into the right gear, the EQB is straight away responsive – it’s a pleasure to maneuver by means of visitors.
- The extra mass of the batteries is concentrated low within the chassis, so it gives different advantages. For instance, the car’s heart of gravity is lowered, so transitional maneuvers (e.g., fast lane modifications) really feel extra steady with much less physique roll than within the GLB. And, the load of the batteries acts very similar to a tuned mass damper, thereby decreasing undesirable physique motions and vibrations from the street – the EQB has a extra steady and cozy trip than the GLB.
- We can consider cases the place an automaker has “adapted” a combustion car to a pure-EV drivetrain with less-than-stellar outcomes. More usually than not, the addition of a battery pack considerably compromises inside area, and the driving dynamics are lackluster. Mercedes-Benz has achieved fairly the other with the GLB to EQB conversion – they’ve constructed a compact electrical crossover that has extra energy, drives higher, is quieter, and is extra environment friendly with solely minimal compromise relating to inside utility.
- Based on our early take a look at drive in Germany, we advocate the all-electric Mercedes-Benz EQB 350 4MATIC over its combustion counterparts — it’s a winner.