Dukkah is a mix of nuts, seeds, and spices that hails from Egypt and the Middle East. Crunchy and flavorful, it is scrumptious on dips, veggies, and extra!
I made a full batch of this easy dukkah recipe final week, and inside just a few days, the entire thing was gone. It’s the form of seasoning that you could sprinkle on all the things, out of your morning scrambled eggs and avocado toast to roasted veggies at dinner. Basically, anytime you wish to pep up a easy meal, dukkah may also help you do it.
What is dukkah?
Dukkah (additionally spelled duqqa) is a Middle Eastern and Egyptian nut, seed, and spice mix. The precise substances are inclined to range, although varied toasted nuts, sesame seeds, coriander, and cumin are among the many commonest additions. As Amy Chaplin writes in her cookbook At Home within the Whole Food Kitchen, dukkah is historically served as a dip with olive oil and bread, although the methods to make use of it don’t finish there (see a few of my favorites beneath!). Today, pre-made dukkah is out there in lots of spice retailers and grocery shops, although for one of the best taste, I like to recommend making your personal at residence.
Dukkah Recipe Ingredients
I make my model of this Egyptian spice mix with 7 easy substances:
- Hazelnuts and pistachios – They add crunch and wealthy, nutty taste.
- Sesame seeds – Use a mixture of black and white in case you have them!
- Ground cumin and coriander – I take advantage of floor variations of those spices as a result of I all the time have them available, however should you occur to have complete coriander or cumin seeds in your kitchen, be at liberty to sub them in! Start with 3/4 teaspoon of every complete spice as an alternative of 1/2. After you mix the dukkah collectively, regulate the seasonings to style.
- Fennel seeds – They add nice savory taste to this easy spice combine.
- And sea salt – To make the earthy, nutty, and toasty flavors pop!
Find the whole recipe with measurements beneath.
How to Make Dukkah
This dukkah recipe is SO easy to make! Here’s the way it goes:
First, toast the nuts and seeds. Place the hazelnuts and pistachios in a small skillet over medium warmth. Toast, stirring, for 2-3 minutes, or till the nuts are aromatic and starting to brown. Add the sesame and fennel seeds and toast for 1 minute extra. Stir usually, or the seeds will burn!
Transfer the toasted nuts and seeds to a meals processor, and add the cumin, coriander, and salt.
Next, grind up the spice mix. Traditionally, dukkah can be made utilizing a mortar and pestle. In truth, in line with Serious Eats, its title really comes from the Egyptian Arabic phrase which means “to crush” or “to pound.” However, utilizing a meals processor achieves an analogous impact with a fraction of the trouble, in order that’s what I take advantage of to make dukkah at residence. But in case you have a mortar and pestle and you like to make use of that, go for it! Pulse or pound the combination till the nuts are coarsely floor, with some bigger nut items nonetheless remaining.
Season to style with extra salt, cumin, or coriander…and that’s it! Store the dukkah in an hermetic container at room temperature for a few weeks.
Here are just a few of my favourite methods to make use of this flavorful spice mix:
- As a dip. Dunk a bit pita or crusty bread in olive oil, after which dip it within the dukkah. The oil will assist the nuts and spices keep on with the bread, making it a wealthy, satisfying appetizer or snack.
- On a dip. Sprinkle it over hummus, baba ganoush, or selfmade labneh earlier than serving.
- On eggs. Scrambled, poached, and even soft-boiled.
- On avocado toast. Dress it up extra with roasted chickpeas, recent herbs, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- On grilled or roasted greens. You’ll discover this dukkah on this roasted carrot recipe. It’s additionally implausible on roasted butternut squash, broccoli, or cauliflower and grilled eggplant or zucchini.
- In easy salads. Sprinkle it over this roasted beet salad or this shredded carrot salad.
How do you want to make use of dukkah? Let me know within the feedback!
More Favorite Homemade Spice Blends
If you like this dukkah recipe, strive making one among these selfmade seasoning blends subsequent:
Serves 8 12
Dukkah is an Egyptian spice mix produced from crushed toasted nuts, seeds, and spices. This model is straightforward to make within the meals processor, and it retains in an hermetic container at room temperature for a few weeks. Find my favourite methods to make use of it within the put up above!
- ½ cup uncooked hazelnuts
- ¼ cup uncooked shelled pistachios
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon floor coriander
- ½ teaspoon floor cumin
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon sea salt
In a small skillet over medium warmth, toast the hazelnuts and pistachios for two to three minutes, or till aromatic. Add the sesame seeds and fennel seeds and toast 1 minute extra, stirring usually to stop burning.
Transfer the nuts and seeds to a meals processor and add the coriander, cumin, and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Pulse till nicely chopped. Season to style with extra salt, if desired.
See the weblog put up above for serving strategies.